hyenas, terrifying and excellently organized predators of the savannah
also surprisingly docile and like neck scritches and have a tail chasing compulsion
if you don’t think hyenas are great then you’re objectively wrong
Aaaahhh, I love hyenas. :D
Hyenas: Always getting a bad rap because lions are jerks. Lions actually steal from hyenas most of the time because hyenas are the better predators — but they’re also very skittish when faced with a giant pride of cats. Adorable babies!
Okay, lemme tell you about spotted hyenas, aka the BAMFiest BAMFs in the animal kingdom.
- Their societies are entirely female-dominated. Female hyenas are larger and stronger than males and have higher social status in clan hierarchy - even the lowest-ranking female in a hyena clan is higher up the social ladder than the highest-ranking male. They’re basically the Amazons of the animal world. The females even have false penis-like appendages (which are essentially large clitorises), which led the ancient Greeks to think that hyenas were hermaphrodites. Because fuck your narrow human perceptions of sex and gender roles, that’s why.
- They are considered the dominant predators of the African savannah, despite not being the largest or strongest, because they are the most successful hunters. Their hunting success rate is estimated to be about 70-80%, meaning that they catch about 70-80% of prey they pursue - a freakishly high statistic (to compare, the success rate of lions and wolves is about 20-30%). They also scavenge much less than lions do, as whowasntthere said, and are incredibly adaptable and opportunistic predators, meaning that they are also the most common and widespread of the large African carnivores. That’s not too bad for an animal typecast as a lazy scavenger.
- Their jaws are some of the strongest in the animal kingdom, stronger than those of lions, tigers, wolves or perhaps bears, and can crush elephant and giraffe bones; hyenas are also able to digest all bone matter. Don’t tell me that’s not metal as fuck.
- Despite looking like dogs, they are not part of the dog family and are actually more closely related to cats. Because fuck your logic. Nature does what it wants.
- They are incredibly intelligent. They are easily as intelligent as primates and some scientists claim that their intelligence may even rival that of the great apes, which would make them among the most intelligent animals in the world. Hyenas even outperform chimpanzees on some tests, which is pretty damn awesome, considering that chimpanzees are our closest relatives and all.
So yeah, basically hyenas are awesome and badass as well as truly fascinating animals and if you don’t have at least a bit of respect for them you’re wrong.
what if 911 called you
911: “hello, this is 911 emergency. i just wanted to see if you were alright or if you need any assistance or anything or if you want to go out for a drink or…”
me: “911, please stop calling here. youve been calling like everyday for past week now…”
Tragic love story: two boys fall in love and can’t be together because they both wanna bottom
u have lips ….. i have lips …… interesting
Supernatural AU where Satan and Metatron are lawyers comparing one against the other in court.
I’m rooting for Satan
we are all rooting for Satan
WITH THE REPORTER ON SCENE
How even is this possible????
Satan is defending Cas
And the one who arrested them
WTF IS THIS???
WHAT MOVIE IS THIS
isnt that Thank You For Smoking ?
do you ever cry because you’re not british
tears of joy
I AM SUDDENLY VERY SAD AT THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE REBLOGGING THAT DEPRESSION POST
THIS CALLS FOR BUNNY BUNS
SEVERAL OF THEM
BUNS TO THE RESCUE
LOOK AT THAT FLOOF
LOOK HES CALLING FOR CARROTS
AND THIS ONE KNOWS HES FABULOUS
I FEEL BETTER NOW BYE
I made these as a way to compile all the geographical vocabulary that I thought was useful and interesting for writers. Some descriptors share categories, and some are simplified, but for the most part everything is in its proper place. Not all the words are as useable as others, and some might take tricky wording to pull off, but I hope these prove useful to all you writers out there!
(save the images to zoom in on the pics)
I’m not in the mood for anything but a nap tbh.